Friday 17 August 2007

The preferred operating system for rapid development setup

From time to time I am asked to help some friend or family writing php code. That is the drawback of being in the software business (luckily they don't ask me to fix their car).
I am not a php developer by nature, but of course I am willing to help.

I recently switched to mac and haven't had the change to install a usefull apache (the one that mac os x is shipped with isn't capable of running php 5), neither did I have php on my machine.

Instead of setting it all up by hand I found MAMP. It is bundled with php4, php5, mysql and apache - all wrapped up in one simple application easy to install and just as easy to uninstall.

I haven't had the chance to dig that much into Rails yet, but my colleague showed me the Locomotive application that seems to have the same benefits as MAMP.

I simply love how easy it is to setup a development environment on my mac.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...I simply love how easy it is to setup a development environment on my mac...."

Yeah! Then you can use some of the free time you get from that, to try and hunt down how to enter {[]}\;: on that crap keyboard.

Anonymous said...

I should never have told you about my ongoing fight against idea shortcuts :-)

John Smith said...

I like the pointer to MAMP and Locomotive. How useful.

By the way, your tagline What I encounter in my software part of life is in danger of being commented here might be a bit clearer if written as What I encounter in my software part of life is in danger of being commented upon here

Anonymous said...

Thanks John, I have altered the tagline.